University: Avans University of Applied Sciences
Course: Environmental Science and Sustainable Energy Technology, ESSET
Which year you are in: 2nd year
Home Town in the UK: Exeter
1. Why did you choose to study abroad?
I personally wanted to live on the continent Europe, rather than on a separate (in lots of way island). The course was better than anywhere I could find in the UK and also it is much cheaper.
2. How would you rate the assistance of the university before you arrived (the application process, finding accommodation, sorting out financial matters)?
Not great. There was a lot of things I didn't know I had to do when I arrived that I was unaware of before. Although I didn't really check other sources before so I could have done more. Housing is difficult to sort out at first as the university doesn't help at all.
3. How would you rate the assistance of the university when you arrived (orientation etc)?
Very good. The introduction week were very fun and good at orientating around the city. Kick-off is also well formulised and introduces the course well. But they put great pressure on you to sort out official things in the first week.
4. Did you feel prepared when you arrived and/or what surprised you?
I felt very prepared before I arrived. The only things that surprised me when I did arrive was the culture shock of the bureaucracy. I didn't know about all the "official" things such as sorting out insurance, signing contracts and obtaining a BSN number was.
5. How would you rate the learning environment (teaching style, studying with other international students, non-native English speaking lecturers)?
Absolutely brilliant. Class dynamics between the students and teachers works brilliant. Small class sizes make it really personal and fun. Everyone is super casual about things. There is a great sense of community between the students, everyone parties together and studies together. The work is still very difficult but if it's your passion it is also brilliant.
6. Would you recommend studying abroad to someone your age who might never have thought about it before?
7. Is there anything you wish someone had told you at the time you applied?
Get ready for the difference in night life culture
8. Would you recommend your course, university, city to British students?